Pancake Day Tuesday the 28th February
History of Shrove Tuesday
Shrove Tuesday was traditionally a day of feast falling on the day before Lent. Fasting would then take place for 40 days leading up to Easter. Shrove Tuesday, also known as Pancake Day always falls 47 days before Easter.
We celebrate with pancakes as traditionally when going to fast it’s the last opportunity to get rid of all the eggs and fats before Lent, so the perfect way to do this is to make pancakes!
The Henry J guide to making a thin pancake.
Makes around 12 Pancakes
2 large fresh eggs
100g of plain flour
300 ml of milk
1. Sieve the flour into a large bowl. Crack open the 2 eggs and add to the bowl. Slowly add 300ml of milk and a tiny pinch of salt and use an electric whisk to make a smooth batter. Handheld is also great.
2. Use a large non-stick frying pan and lightly butter the whole pan and put over medium heat for a couple of minutes.
3. Once hot pour one ladle of batter evenly into the pan and cook for 1 to 2 minutes until golden/brown, and it starts to come away from the sides.
4. Now to cook the other side, hold the handle of the pan flip your pancake, or if you’re not feeling too daring use a spatula. Cook for a further 2 minutes and you’re ready to plate up.
For the topping
Feeling healthy but need a bit of sweetness?
1. Lightly sprinkle a dusting of caster sugar and squeeze a wedge of lemon all over for a zesty start to your day.
2. Yummy Peach pancakes…
Peel 4 peaches and slice in half removing the pits. Chop them into very small pieces or blend in a blender if you prefer a puree.
Add the puree or chopped peaches to a pan over medium heat. Add 1/4cup of sugar, a pinch of allspice, 1 tablespoon of butter and a ¾ cup of water.
Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until the mixture thickens for about 5 minutes then pour over your pancakes and add some more fresh peaches if desired. Delicious!
Something healthy and savoury:
3. Smoked Salmon, crème fraiche and avocado.
Simply add a few slices of smoked salmon. Peel a ripe avocado and remove the stone. Mash the avocado with a fork and add a pinch of salt and pepper and a squeeze of lemon. To accompany add a spoon of crème fraiche and sprinkle with some finely chopped chives. Garnish with a slice of lemon.
Let’s get messy:
4. Crème Egg chocolate pancakes.
Carefully pull apart 2 crème eggs and scoop out the middle gooey part and place in a saucepan.
Break the chocolate shells into pieces in a glass bowl with 125ml of milk. Place the bowl over a pan of simmering water, stirring with a wooden spoon until the chocolate has melted. Remove from the pan.
Add a couple of spoons of milk to the goo and heat over medium heat for 1 minute.
Add the melted chocolate to the pancakes and gently fold them over. Now add your goo drizzled over the top of the pancake. Mmmmm Seriously chocolatey!
Let us know what you will be flipping with your favourite toppings on Tuesday the 28th February.
« Back to News